I need to remember to take some pics of the existing drawers when I
smash them to pieces while cackling like a maniac do the demolition work. I just want the world to see how special they are. Well, the internet. Okay, the ten or twenty people who visit this blog. The existing drawers are just hideous. Maybe that’s why I’m putting so much time and care into the drawers that will replace them.
The new drawers are coming along wonderfully. I’ve only screwed up like four or five things so far, all easily fixed, so I’m going pretty good by my standards. I didn’t have much time this weekend, though, as I was up on the hill behind my house clearing brush with a machete.
This is no-man’s-land. We get these vine-like bushes that sprawl like weeds, and overtake everything on the hillside. They’ve already devoured a spruce tree near the driveway. I needed to clear a bunch of them that were threatening the shed behind the house, and ideally on a warm, dry day before spring. Once spring comes along, they’re heavy with new growth, full of bees, swarming with wasps, and covered with new, sharp thorns. Got my opportunity on Saturday, a nice dry day here, so I was up hacking way at them.
It’s rocky, it’s overgrown, there is no good footing, and thorny plants and vines are everywhere. But it’s remarkable how peaceful it all is. One of these days I need to forge some kind of a trail or a path up there. Maybe make a hidden Buddha shrine or two.
So after a few hours of grueling labor it was back to the shop. I decided to cover the end grain of the plywood with oak strips. I wasn’t going to do it initially, it’s kind of a pain and takes a bit of time and care to do correctly, and all the other drawers in this house have exposed plywood end grain. But I wanted these to look nice.
The drawer glides are these big beefy 24″ steel contraptions that are several orders of magnitude stronger than the drawers themselves. They’re a little finicky to install but when it’s all done the drawers open and shut beautifully.
Looking pretty is nice, but at the end of the day, they just need to open and shut.
Drawer fronts and framing will all be out of red oak. I need to install this base first, though, before I can make the exact measurements of where everything is supposed to be. It’ll be fun getting this into the closet.
All that hard work this weekend. I need to go down to the beach again soon!